The Canadian Consulate General in Seattle is seeking to hire a Receptionist who will be responsible for operating the central telephone switchboard in both official languages, English and French, providing general information to visitors regarding the Consulate General, responding to Consular inquiries and providing support to the Administration Program.
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Locally Engaged Staff (LES) regulations of 37.5 hours per week. Must be willing to work in an area separate from the group and during the specific business hours (8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. M-F).
STARTING SALARY: $43,141 USD plus benefits
POSITION NUMBER: EXT-305985
TENURE: Employment Tenure: There is one term position to be filled, having a specified period of employment of five (5) years, with the possibility of extension or change in employment status to indeterminate. This competitive staffing process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and similar positions with various tenures, including indeterminate, term, assignment/ transfer, and acting opportunities at the Consulate General of Canada in Seattle, WA. When you submit your application, you must specify all types of employment tenures for which you wish to be considered, e.g., indeterminate, term, assignment/transfer, and/or acting.
Persons living in the Seattle Metropolitan area of Washington
Employees of any Canadian Mission in the U.S. Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance.
Spouses and dependants of Canada-based staff at the Consulate General of Canada.
All applicants must:
- Meet all of the Essential Requirements stated below.
- Reside in the U.S.
- Have independent work authorization in the U.S. and status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for foreign missions.
- Submit resumes and cover letters by the closing date. The cover letter must specify, using concrete examples, how you meet the essential requirements for this position.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Under the general supervision of the Mission Administration Officers, the Receptionist operates the central telephone switchboard and auto-attendant in both official languages; provides concise and accurate information in both official languages to visitors and callers concerning the Consulate General of Canada, services we provide and Canada in general; responds to consular inquiries, controls access to the Consulate General of Canada, ensures that the reception lobby is in good order and upholds the security policy; provides general administrative support for the Administration Program, including such tasks as data entry, scanning, filing, and basic internet research; manages the training function of the switchboard and performs other related duties.
Fluency in English and French (both oral and written). Please indicate your level of knowledge in each language in your application. Persons meeting the Essential Requirements will be tested on their fluency.
Condition of employment (must be met):
Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check; and Independent work authorization in the U.S and status in accordance with the US protocol directives for foreign missions.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Education and Experience requirements listed below:
Successful completion of high school. College/University degree is an asset.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience providing receptionist or extensive front-line customer services, which involves responding to inquiries from the public;
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience providing administrative support services to a diverse work team; and
- Experience using MS Office Suite, e.g., Word, Excel, and Outlook as well as Internet research and social media
Candidates who meet the Education and experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. The assessment may be a written test, an interview, an in-basket exercise, a skills test, or any combination of these methods.
- Knowledge of general administrative principles, including but not limited to filing, office organizational procedures, generally accepted meeting, email & phone etiquette, etc.;
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in computer software and systems, such as Microsoft Office Suite, such as Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe; Facebook, Twitter and Snapshot.
- Basic knowledge of the structure of the Canadian Government.
- Communicated in English and French, both orally and in writing;
- Provide effective client service in person, by telephone, and electronically;
- Maintain composure when dealing with unusual situations or difficult clients;
- Able to demonstrate empathy
- Assess situations that involve a security or safety issue; and
- Initiate appropriate action in response to critical communications.
Personal Suitability: Effective interpersonal skills; Sound judgement;Punctual/Dependable; Adaptable and flexible; and Confidentiality
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the essential requirements. Please note that failure to meet any of the essential requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by the Human Resources Section for an interview or other form of assessment of the Rated Requirements. The assessment may include an interview, a written test and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant’s knowledge, abilities and personal suitability for the position. The Consulate General offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package to include medical, dental, long term and short term disability, and a retirement savings plan, to name a few. The Consulate General is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
Method of application:
Applications are to be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the 10/13/17 midnight. In completing their applications, candidates will confirm that they meet all the essential requirements and take care to related their work experience to the position description and indicate the position number.